Gum disease is mainly caused by bacteria from plaque and tartar build up. Other factors that have the potential to cause gum disease may include:
- Tobacco use
- Clenching or grinding your teeth
- Certain medications
Types of Gum Disease Include:
- Gingivitis - The beginning stage of gum disease and is often undetected. This stage of the disease is reversible.
- Periodontitis - Untreated gingivitis may lead to this next stage of gum disease which often results in tooth and bone loss.
Signs of Gum Disease Include:
- Red, bleeding, and/or swollen gums
- Bad breath
- Mobility of the teeth
- Tooth sensitivity caused by receding gums
- Abscessed teeth
- Tooth loss
Recent studies suggest gum disease may contribute to or be warning signs of potentially life threatening conditions such as:
- Heart disease & stroke
- Kidney disease
- Preterm birth
- Respiratory disease
Managing Gum Disease:
Unfortunately, gum disease is not curable. However, we can detect early warning signs of gum disease at your regular dental checkups. Caught early, prevention might be as simple as changing your brushing technique, improving your flossing routine, or changing the products you use for oral care at home.
Once gum disease sets in, Dr. Coscia will educate you on the best techniques for day-to-day oral health care maintenance, and will create a treatment plan that may include the following therapy techniques, depending on the level of disease:
- Root Planing
- Antibiotic Therapy